Wednesday, May 13, 2009

inch by inch

My garden this year is really, inch by inch, since I have a couple one foot square containers and a few two feet by a half foot containers. I've planted a wide of variety to see how well different things might do, we have such a short growing season here. We've put in a few herbs, lettuce, carrots, green onions, radishes, tomatoes, beans and pop corn, some from bought seeds and some seeds from the kitchen shelf. A few are up and some just got planted today. I've over planted the boxes and will thin as we go. I'll be curious to see if we can keep them fed and happy just the same.

Hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to get an offer and sell my place. The containers will all be movable, too. I'm going to look into a hanging container for tomatoes and maybe get it going as well. These things are one seed at a time in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the house selling/quest!!
    I've been gardening again this week (after more rain!) & things I planted a week or so ago are up.

    I've been using a lot of coconut in things - after reading about it being a 'good fat' after all. ~ 1/4 C coconut flour in recipes, is really nice (I went to Bob's Red Mill & got some in bulk! Great place for gluten free ideas & recipes!) You need to add a bit more liquid; it's really high in fiber, more than oat bran.

    The milk is lovely as well - I add 1/2 can water to a can of coconut milk - more spendy than your rice milk, but a dab on granola (homemade w coconut oil & agave nectar) is so yummy!
    I also make veggie stock by freezing veg. trimmings (no cabbage family stuff) onion & garlic skins, etc, & when my bag is full, simmering for ~ 25 min. I add a bay leaf & herbs & a bit of salt - & use it instead of water in rice & lentils, etc.

    Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ducky, you are doing like me! (Honing my sustainable skills) :) It is harder than it looks, isn't it?! Good luck with your garden & your house.

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete