Friday, May 8, 2009

Got Milk?

In an effort to learn to use what I have in the pantry and decrease the amount we are spending, I'm continuing to try new things. Today, I made homemade rice milk. I've bought it a few times, but find it's a little steep since it's usually more than a dollar a quart here. It takes a little time, but I have time to spare right now and this can be easily planned into our usual routine. There are some baking recipes I regularly make that call for milk and this is a great alternative to using the regular milk, it will save money consistently.

The recipe is simple, bring a quart of water and a quarter cup of brown rice to a boil (yes, the milk will be white). Cover and simmer for an hour. Let it cool slightly and put in the blender till fine. Strain with a metal sieve, might need a couple times through. Store in fridge. My plan is to use this mainly for baking and cooking. To use with cereal, add a little vanilla and / or sweetener after straining.

This is one more skill, to be able to get around not having milk and using a economical substitute. Options are always good to life's little questions, like ... Got Milk?


Back to First's on the First

3 comments:

  1. Excellent idea! I used to use powdered milk to cut milk costs in baking but now not only is the savings not as much, I wonder if it is very good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had used the powdered milk as well, but when I ran the numbers recently, the savings were minimal. I noticed lots of recipes would have rice or soy milk as an option. So, a little google and bam a new recipe for rice milk. It costs about $0.08 per batch plus electricity, We buy our brown rice in 20 pound bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a good alternative and sounds pretty easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete